Piano Training Center School
The Music Development Program for Piano: An Interactive Guide
Welcome to the Music Development Program’s interactive guide to the Piano Syllabus.
Please click on the appropriate link to view specific information for each level, including sample programs.
Beginner Levels (Preparatory A and B)
Elementary Levels (Levels 1 and 2,3)
Early Intermediate Levels (Levels 4 and 5,6)
Intermediate Levels (Levels 7 and 8.9)
Advanced Levels (Levels 10 and 11,12)
Preparatory A and Preparatory B
The Preparatory A and B program is designed to introduce beginners to a positive assessment experience by supporting student success and celebrating individual achievement.
1. Students discover the joy of making music at the piano
2. A wide range of repertoire encourages the development of musical imagination and creativity
3. Pieces can be chosen from a variety of leading method books and other attractive publications, but teachers are not restricted to these books.
4. Students build on their basic understanding of keyboard geography and the fundamentals of note reading, rhythm, and articulation
5. Favorite repertoire can be included as a Teacher's Choice selection
6. Students build on their basic understanding of keyboard geography and the fundamentals of note-reading, rhythm, and articulation
Elementary (Levels 1 and 2,3)
The Elementary levels are appropriate for students in the early years of music study. Students continue to build their foundational skills and encounter a wider range of repertoire.
1. Students are introduced to elements of Baroque and Classical style through dances in two- and three-part forms
2. Character pieces engage the imagination and allow students to continue their creative development
3. Two-part inventions develop hand independence and contrapuntal awareness